Monday, November 22, 2021

Support Wretched Inferno!

 

Showing up to another metal show at Koto this weekend, I was introduced to another new & exciting metal band local to us in Andover, Massachusetts - Wretched Inferno

I was surprised to see Koto filling up with people much faster than usual, especially for an opening band - they have quite the draw! I had no idea what to expect, except for perhaps something slam-adjacent, going by their merch designs and such. 

What we got was a blistering set that ran the gamut of styles in the best way possible. They have a short review on their bandcamp that sums it up very well: “A reverent homage to death metal savagery across the decades. Thrash, grind, brutal death metal, slam… this is a lean, confident assault we’d be lucky to hear from seasoned veterans..." Schuler Benson.  

They even had dual vocalists, with the drummer being the second. His vox are reminiscent of black metal in my opinion, which added even more depth. I can't imagine what it must be like having to do vocals and play that fast at the same time. I've seen death-doom bands pull it off successfully, but never something with such speed and variety. The guy had a lot of technical prowess in general, I was impressed. The entire band has excellent chops as well.

I bought their full LP "Decayed Butchery" on CD to have for my collection, I recommend this for metal fans who like everything from old-school Cannibal Corpse, Mortician, Suffocation, to Sanguisugabogg. 

Cassettes can be had at Frozen Screams Imprint's Bandcamp page.


Definitely try to catch these guys any time they are playing out, I had a blast at the show. 

 

Decibel Mag did a feature on this band when they released their EP "Fester" last year. 

Ken's Death Metal Krypt mentioned them in the show yesterday:

 


Other videos up on their Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment