Friday, August 30, 2013

S.H.S. Show Review - Ugly Parts, Night Birds, Zero Boys at The Court Tavern 8/28/13


Just a short review... I showed up in time for UGLY PARTS, who were ripping as tight as ever. These guys have gotten even better. I love Gore's antics and snarls and the entire band's style. They played my favorite Big Man, which I managed to catch on video, and they even busted out a new one that made it seem like they might be going in a heavier direction soon. Very exciting!



Up next was NIGHT BIRDS, who I have never seen live, despite being fans of them sice inception and owning their entire vinyl discography. It was like a sick joke that every time they were playing NJ I was either sick or unwaveringly committed to some other thing. Well, they were every bit as good as I thought and they sounded even better than the records. I can't believe how fast the drummer plays and how consistent he is. I got to hear all my favs, including new ones Maimed For The Masses, Modern Morons, New Cults, Born To Die In Suburbia, and older ones like Bad Biology, Prognosis Negative, Midnight Movies, and of course they closed with fan favorite Killer Waves. Being a hometown show everyone went nuts as if this were hardcore we were listening to.

Here's a link to a playlist of excellent quality video I took from a good vantage point at the show:

Some ignorant mouthbreather called me out for wearing a Joy Division shirt to the show btw.It was what I decided to throw on in the morning. I'm sorry I don't commit to one scene's look to model my entire life around. I have diverse tastes. #whynewbrunswickpunkssucksometimes

Headlining the event was ZERO BOYS, an early 80's hardcore punk band from Indianapolis. It was said that this was the first time EVER for them playing in New Jersey. Apparently over the last couple years they have been reunited for some gigs. I was not familiar with them prior to this show, but always love to experience a special event like this. At first, they were playing some more rock and roll old school punk type songs, which to be honest did not do a whole lot for me. However, after a little bit into the set, they busted out some of that fast hardcore sound I love. The mosh also got super intense during this, almost like it was an actual old school hardcore show. These two dudes almost started a fistfight right next to me. Anyway, check out this video on YouTube I took of my favorite songs they played:




On the web:

No comments:

Post a Comment