Friday, August 16, 2013

S.H.S. Show Review - Red Hare, Joyce Manor, Kid Dynamite (Farewell) At House Of Vans



 


I finally had the opportunity to follow through with plans to go to the House Of Vans. I love this concept of a free show, complete with free beverages and food trucks, based on the sponsors Vans/FYF Fest. In the past, I have made the easy mistake of not "RSVP-ing" on time, and not being able to commit to taking the day to head to Brooklyn hours early to get a spot in line. Entry is not guaranteed with an RSVP. 

So the venue is huge - It's a big warehouse in Greenpoint. In its rear area, it contains a balcony and a couple ramps where people chilled, a big stage, and an outside yard with the beer tent on a raised patio area. It was thankfully very well ventilated, too.
 

I was eating a cheese steak and drinking free Heinekens outside during the first band's set. From what I heard, local-ish band "Swearin" played some pretty tight and mellow indie rock. I was in the stage area for Red Hare, which contains members of an 80's Dischord band Swiz, I am told. I liked the vocals, which were post-hardcore in style but the instrumental music aspect was not really my cup of tea. It seemed a little more like arena rock than punk and did not mesh well with the vox. I believe they are friends with Kid Dynamite.
 
Red Hare
Up next was Joyce Manor, a band I was very familiar with. I love Barry Johnson's voice - it's like it's got a poppier Chuck Ragan vibe to it. Their set was very energetic and emotional, and the crowd was highly engaged. The crowd surfing and pitting going on would only be intensified as the night went on at this point. The band gave us a really good cover, from the great Murder City Devils, "Midnight Service In The Mutter." I have a newfound higher level of respect for these guys and foresee some dedication to seeing them more in the future. I bought a cassette of theirs, which became a conversation piece later that night at the bars.



















 
The large, packed room literally exploded when Kid Dynamite took the stage. Their final show ever, this was a special night. For me personally, this band brings me back to the good 'ol days when I was attending Rutgers University in New Brunswick and we were experiencing a booming hardcore scene in the city, the rest of NJ, and surrounding areas. I was buying their music alongside Ink & Dagger, The Nerve Agents, Lifetime, Bouncing Souls, Kill Your Idols, Reach The Sky, and more over at stores like Vintage Vinyl, Curmudgeon, and Tunes. When I was on line for the show, I was talking to some guy who said the last time he went to see Kid Dynamite, it was at Coney Island High (formerly in St. Marks Place in NYC) the day it got shut down. Apparently the bands showed up unaware that Giuliani shut down the place or whatever happened there. Indeed, these good old days were in the minds of the band as vocalist David Shevchuk went on at one point about how many places they have played that are now gone, like Coney Island High, Wetlands, CBGBs, etc. He said he hoped the House Of Vans paid their bills, which is in all seriousness, a reminder of how we should be glad about the current state of NYC concerts and cherish it while it lasts. 

David did something super cool for the fans... with the Venue's permission, he performed from the barricade at the bottom of the stage to be closer for the fans. In my opinion this kicked an already phenomenal free show up a couple notches. They literally played almost everything, I was very pleased with the set including their cover of Black Flag's "Rise Above,"  and closer "Heart A Tact." They came out for one final encore, where David was up on stage as he was for the closer as well. Kid Dynamite, you will be sorely missed. Thanks for the memories. 






Dan Yemin

David sings from the barricade

 
All in all a very enjoyable and memorable night, the kind that had strangers smiling and recounting their highlights to one another while walking home. I love New York! 

  More Video:

No comments:

Post a Comment