Wednesday, July 17, 2013

S.H.S. Album Review - Fleshtemple: Initiation



New Brunswick/Montclair area band Fleshtemple has had a profound impact on me. Starting up in the 2009/2010 timeframe, they re-introduced and reignited my interest in the local hardcore scene. I had been out of the loop since around 2004, and had been getting frustrated with the straightforward or sometimes commercial HC my friends at the time were listening to. I craved something that merged differing spheres of my unique tastes, and had a raw honesty to it, and this was it. I am glad to say I have seen them play a number of times and also have had the pleasure of working with Pete August at the Clubhouse.


Introductions aside, their highly anticipated second 7" record, 'Initiation,' is out now on Free Cake Records. The first thing that jumps out is the artwork, which is much more detailed versus the first EP (on Toxic State). I am told the band had a lot more input this time around. There's a high quality cover, lyrics insert, a woven patch, and colored vinyl. Besides the packaging, this is also their finest effort musically. They also have released two cassettes in the past, which are currently OOP.

The songs melt your face at breakneck speed and are full of exciting changes... I am getting a 'Religion Sucks' -era Asocial vibe with the d-beat parts, along with Gehenna-brand hardcore, and a healthy dose of 90's Black Metal aesthetic. "Stump" could very well be the soundtrack to an unholy conflagration... The incorporation of some epic doom and sludge elements bring acute variety to the frenzied meat of the record, particularly on track 3, "Fever," and the monstrous closer, "Blood Oath." 

I'm stoked to hear Michael McGauran aka Gore's ferocious drumming, whether it's skin-shredding blast beats or pounding to thunderous effect. Dude's an animal, and it shows in every band the guy's in. (Not to take anything away from the band's original drummer, GDP, who is very talented, too.)  As a fan of the occult and abstraction in music, I'm quite partial to the lyrics as well. There's enough room for the symbolism without alienating the listener.

Ultimately, you must hurry up and BUY this record before it's sold out! And also, Fleshtemple does not play out very often so definitely make sure to get to any shows that are announced.


Review Score 5.0/5.0
*I believe this is my first review giving that!

-S.H.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment