Thursday, February 28, 2013

S.H.S. Album Review - Darkthrone: The Underground Resistance

The moment we've been waiting for is finally here. If you're like me, you have been eagerly awaiting the full album release ever since the promo version of 'Leave No Cross Unturned' first appeared on Peaceville's SoundCloud page. Would the new album be their finest moment, or would it only tarnish their legacy? Would they go 'all power metal' on us? Time to find out.

In writing my previous article about the band's history, I had speculated that we were in for a new chapter, one in which the band would produce its greatest output. After hearing the full album, I can confidently confirm that to be true! Admittedly, I was apprehensive about the band possibly overdoing the early British metal style to the point of ridiculousness. I'm all for the fun side of this band that has been in full effect for years now, but I also did not want to feel like Darkthrone had turned into a joke.

After only minutes into the first song, I was thrilled with what I was hearing. Listen to that intro riff! So dirty and raw... I was surprised to hear Nocturno Culto on vocals initially... for some reason I had the expectation that this would be all Fenriz...


For the next track, we have a change in tune... more of a 'battle hymn' called Valkyrie with Fenriz taking up the mic. This is very tastefully done, check it out:


At this point, I had to take a minute to marvel over the album so far. I could not believe DarkThrone has come this far. The guitar licks and solos really impressed me, as did the delicate balance in the production. A great example is the opening riff of this track, The Ones You Left Behind...


Another quite notable success on this song is the use of harmony. It's really quite astounding.

When you're in the mood for some good old-fashioned face melting, listen to the last one, which we previously heard - Leave No Cross Unturned. I love how Fenriz blurts out phrases like "RAWK!" and "THRASH!" in between blistering solos on this track.

Ultimately, my only major criticism of the album is that it feels too short. It's six tracks, running just over 40 minutes total. I could have done with more songs with shorter lengths. If it was that way, I may have awarded the LP with a perfect score.  On a positive note, it does leave the listener with an almost 'cliffhanger' type of emotion... "What just happened?" ... is the general effect.

Where I have been critical of other selections in the back catalog for being too much of a mix of sounds, (in opposition to the consistency of Transilvanian Hunger) the dual vocal styles present are a huge plus. Despite the somewhat varied feeling from song to song, there is still enough of a common thread and theme throughout.

For fans of Motorhead and Viking-era Bathory for sure. If you're not, you may not 'get it.' This record is definitely my favorite of the 'after black metal' era of the band. They have always kept their evolution interesting and relevant, unlike their earlier peers Emperor and Mayhem (although Ihsahn's solo work is excellent). The future is looking good for Darkthrone - I can't wait for more!
Review score 4.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment